The PCCW205B from PORTER-CABLE is a battery powered orbital sander from one of the most recognized names in the tool industry. It is designed for a variety of sanding jobs on any number of materials, most notably wood. While the PCCW205B is fairly small like other orbit sanders, it can handle light duty stock removal as well as typical prep work on larger areas. The price also comes in at a very competitive level within this category of power tools. Porter-Cable builds solid products so it is no surprise that it is a solid choice for a number of tasks. Now let’s take a closer look to see if it is the best choice for you.
Quality Batteries Are A Necessity
In recent years lithium ion batteries have improved to the point where you can complete your sanding projects on just one charge. This model comes with their 20 volt “MAX” battery to provide fade-free power delivered right to the spinning pad. Fade-free is important and one of the best improvements on these batteries as the sander won’t slowly lose power as it drains. Instead the power will remain constant all the way until the battery needs to be re-charged. This is just one of the main advantages of lithium ion but there are some drawbacks as well including questions about their longevity. Overall though it is a big improvement over prior technology and a main reason why you can buy cordless power tools like this one for all of your home improvement needs.
Dust Collection An Important Consideration
The PCCW205B was built with dust particle collection as a major consideration. For starters it comes with a detachable bag that can trap a decent amount of wood discharge before it needs to be emptied. Most of the times this will be more than enough to keep your workspace clean during and after you are finished. However, for larger projects you can attach to a shop vacuum via the 1 1/4 inch port (hose required). This is the best way to keep virtually all of the dust inside but it does mean you will need to have the vacuum nearby. Overall it rates highly for this often overlooked quality of a modern orbital sander.
- 5 Inch Orbital Sanding Pad is pretty standard for the industry. Simply attach the correct grit sandpaper and you will be off and running.
- 12000 Orbits per Minute (OPM) is plenty enough rotation for typical sanding applications. Obviously the faster it rotates the quicker it will sand.
- Low Profile Design makes it easy to control over longer periods so you can accomplish more with less effort. A rubber grip also helps you keep a firm grip under max power.
- 2.8 Pound Weight means you will hardly feel any strain when sanding for extended periods. It’s hard to believe this lightweight PORTER-CABLE is able to do as much as it can.
- Takes 5 Inch Hook and Loop sandpaper which is easy to replace and secure under power. Use a variety of grits depending on which type of woodworking you are doing.
- 3 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty is one of the better in the industry. You can use it many times without worrying if it will hold up.
What Could It Do Better?
One thing we noticed during testing of this sander is it goes through the battery juice quicker than we would expect. It’s good to have multiple batteries charged and ready to go if you have a medium to long sanding job to do. This is probably due to the good amount of power that the PCCW205B has but a variable switch would help here. It is nice not having to be near an electric outlet, but it’s a small trade-off nonetheless.
It’s also not the quietest random orbital sander on the market. As mentioned above there is no variable speed switch so it is full bore all the time. This means the noise is always as loud as it can be. Even though you aren’t buying a sander based on the decibels it puts out it is worth mentioning in our review.
Overall, the PORTER-CABLE PCCW205B is a quality orbital sander that has surprising power for a cordless tool. It’s portable, lightweight, and does a decent job at dust collection (especially when connected to an external shop vacuum). It also is a lower profile than other brands so it can tuck into tight spaces when needed. A 3 year warranty is also nice so you can use it extensively without worrying about it breaking down. It is recommended for the do-it-yourselfer as well as professionals who need a portable and capable sander. For more information including current pricing and shipping options, click here to visit our recommended online supplier.